2017-2018 Polk Parent of the Year Award
The Wheels to Engagement program recognizes parents who actively participate in the education of their student. The goal is to increase student achievement at low-performing schools. This award is given to the parent or guardian of a current student at one of the 19 listed schools. Each school’s Parent of the Year will be entered into a drawing. The grand prize winner will receive a new Ford Fusion and a $1,000 check courtesy of CenterState Bank. Second and third place winners will receive a $2,000 check courtesy of CenterState Bank.
Parents representing each school will be chosen based on:
- Outstanding involvement in the student’s education
- Personal sacrifices made to benefit the student’s education
- Completing the Parent Engagement Checklist
- Must be the parent, guardian or grandparent of a student enrolled for the entire 2017-18 school year at one of the listed low-performing schools (Polk County Public Schools employees are not eligible).
- Must have a valid driver’s license and proof of insurance.
- To win, those named Parent of the Year at participating schools must be present at Jarrett–Gordon Ford’s Davenport location for the finale celebration.
Parent Engagement Checklist
- (Bonus Points) Attend Orientation Day on Aug. 8
- Attend three (3) Parent Conferences
- Attend two (2) Parent Workshops
- Attend Title I Annual Meeting
- Volunteer at student’s school (8 hrs minimum)
- Recruit other parent(s) to attend school activity or serve volunteer hours
- Participate in Great American Teach-In (Nov. 16):
- Be a speaker, recruit a presenter/speaker, assist with coordination of and/or volunteer to serve at the event
- Provide written input on Title I Compact and/or Parent Family Engagement Plan
- Fulfill Title I Compact communication expectations
- Fulfill participation at a school activity decided upon by school’s administration
The Wheels to Engagement Program is sponsored by Jarrett-Gordon Ford and CenterState Bank.
For more information, contact your student’s school administrators.
Want to Volunteer?
The Polk County School District is the seventh largest in Florida with more than 150 school sites and over 100,000 students. With so many schools and students to serve, volunteers are needed to dedicate their valuable time to accomplish important tasks, and help students reach their educational and career goals. For more information about volunteering, visit https://polkschoolsfl.com/getinvolved/ or call 863.534.0636.