Waste and Recycling
The Department of Waste and Recycling provides support for our schools and facilities in the areas of solid waste disposal, waste reduction, reuse and recovery of resources, recycling or proper disposal of unusable resources, and educational support for our staff and students. The department strives to have an on-campus recycling program at every one of our schools, offices, shops, and warehouse facilities.
Did You Know?
It’s estimated the school district discarded 154,260 cubic yards of solid waste last year, with an approximate weight of 8,840 tons. This is a 9% reduction of discarded waste compared to six years ago. Last year we recovered and recycled:
- 694 tons of corrugated cardboard were recycled
- 238 tons of scrap metal were recovered and recycled
- 5,000 gallons of used motor oil were recovered and recycled
Last year’s average cost per student for solid waste disposal was:
- Elementary school students: $15.52
- Middle school students: $14.12
- High school students: $11.80
Currently, all of our schools have access to an on-campus recycling program, which provides the facility with once-a-week pickup of materials such as paper, aluminum, steel, plastics No.1-4, and glass.