2020 Stepping Out for Education - Virtual Edition
Stepping Out for Education is going virtual this year and anyone in the community who wants to be a “celebrity” dancer, can! As a matter of fact, there can even be groups of dancers this year, so start gathering your friends, colleagues, civic groups or family members to participate! This is how it will work:
- From Oct. 5 – Nov. 8, submit a dance video of any dance or choreography that you have made or borrowed. It does not matter if you wear costumes or plain clothes, dance in your living room or driveway, this contest is intended for no pressure and all fun!
- There are seven categories you may participate in – Individual, Couples, Youth K-5, Youth-6-12, Group – family and friends, Group – business and organizations, and, the Cupid Shuffle.
- If you do not have time to make up choreography, or that is not your thing, do not worry, the “Cupid Shuffle” category will be for you. Our Stepping Out for Education website contains a tutorial video to learn that easy dance and then you and whomever you want to dance with can be as creative as you want to try to win that category!
- Follow the rules and guidelines at Steppingoutforeducationpolk.com
- You can help the Polk Education Foundation earn money by getting your friends, family, colleagues, neighbors etc. to then vote for your video once it is posted. Voting will run Nov. 16 – Dec. 4. Each vote will cost $1
- Winners will be announce in a Facebook Live program the week of Dec. 7
- Click here for registration details, video guidelines and FAQs. If questions remain call or email Evon at 863-519-0519 ext. 601, or firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested in becoming a sponsor? Visit Steppingoutforeducationpolk.com to review sponsorship levels. Funds raised can be matched dollar-for-dollar!
This year’s program is dedicated to Jerry Miller, a former PEF board member who brought the idea of Stepping Out for Education to Polk County, and, who won the event the first year it was held! Jerry passed away in February of this year and is sorely missed by many in our community.
2019 Stepping Out for Education
Congratulations and thank you to all the celebrity dancers for another successful event! With the help of professional coaches, each couple learned a dance to perform in front of event guests. Each was critiqued by three judges who determined the dance competition winners. Two additional awards were given, one to the couple voted “favorite” by the audience and the other for the couple who raised the most $1 votes.
The 2019 Stepping Out for Education champions were Nate and Chelsey Cruz, who performed a Rhythm Medley.
Second place – Jason & Melissa Ash, who performed the American & Argentine Tango
Third place – Gary & Jessica Solano, who performed a Salsa
Audience Favorite – Jonathan & Ashley Link, who performed the Cha Cha, Freestyle, and Hip Hop
People’s Choice Award – Jonathan & Ashley Link ($23,000!)
Other dances performed were by:
Drs. Douglas Gagnon & Carys Felton, who performed the Country Western two-step and
David & Shelly Braswell, who performed the Hustle and Nightclub two-step
2018 Stepping Out for Education
***Thank you to our celebrity couples, who worked so hard to help raise a gross total of $102,800! Funds will be used to support our AmeriCorps Polk Reads program and other programs and services where needed. Will and Andrea Link raised $23,851 earning them the People’s Choice Award for the couple who raised the most money. Cauney Bamberg and Vince Gonzalez came in first place in the dance competition, Cyndi Jantomaso and Nelson Zenteno were second and Zac and Florrie Kluytenaar third. Cauney and Vince also earned the Audience Favorite Award voted on by those who attended that night.