Physically educated students develop the knowledge, skills, behaviors and confidence to lead healthy and physically active lives.
Polk County Public School Physical Education aligns with SHAPE America to offer the best opportunity to provide physical activity to all students and to teach the skills and knowledge needed to establish and sustain an active lifestyle.
PCPS teachers provide students with a high-quality education through sequential K-12 standards-based programs of curriculum and instruction. The instruction is designed to be engaging inside the classroom and extend outside of the classroom with a focus on the whole child.
See grade level requirements below:
Grade Level Requirements:
- Elementary: Section 1003.455, F.S., requires 150 minutes of physical education each week for students in grades K-5. A minimum of 30 consecutive minutes is required on any day that physical education instruction is provided.
- Middle: Section 1003.455, F.S., requires one semester of physical education each year for students enrolled in grades 6-8.
- High: Section 1003.4282, F.S., includes a one credit physical education requirement with the integration of health.
Info and Forms
Polk County Schools Physical Education Waiver Notice
Section 1003.455, Florida Statutes, requires 150 minutes each week of physical education for students in grades kindergarten through fifth grade, and beginning in the 2009-2010 school year, the equivalent of one class period per day of physical education for one semester of each year for students in grades six through eight.The physical education requirement shall be waived for a student who meets one of the following criteria:
- The student is enrolled or required to enroll in a remedial course.
- The student’s parent indicates in writing to the school that:
- The parent requests that the student enroll in another course from among those offered as options by the school district, OR
- The student is participating in physical activities outside the school day which are equal to or in excess of the mandated requirement.
This statute requires each District School Board to notify parents of the options available prior to scheduling a student in physical education. Unless your child meets one of the waiver criteria listed above, he/she will be enrolled in physical education for no less than the mandated amount.
Please contact your school administration if you have questions or concerns regarding the physical education requirements or waiver criteria.