Opportunity Scholarship online applications will be accepted beginning at 8:00 AM on Monday, July 16, 2018 through 5:00 PM on Monday, July 23, 2018. You may access the online application by clicking on the link provided below. Parents will receive an emailed confirmation, which should be kept for your records.
Applications will be processed within 48 hours of submission, and acceptances will be sent via email. Parents must take a copy of the email acceptance letter to the school to enroll your child. Transportation services may take up to two weeks to be arranged. All students accepting an Opportunity Scholarship transfer must be enrolled at the new school by Tuesday, August 7, 2018. School orientation for all Polk County Public Schools is scheduled for Wednesday, August 8, 2018. Please contact the school for additional information.
If you have not received a Parent Notification Letter by July 16, 2018, and your student is assigned to attend one of the below schools for the 2018-2019 school year, you may complete an Opportunity Scholarship application by clicking on the link provided below. A review of your application will be completed in order to determine the school your student is eligible to attend through the Opportunity Scholarship Program.
The Florida Opportunity Scholarship Program is open for any eligible student who is assigned to attend a school that received a performance grade of F in the prior year or three (3) consecutive grades of D. The program does not provide monetary assistance but rather provides the opportunity for your child to attend a designed school that is graded C or better.
The Polk County School Board has received notification from the Florida Department of Education that the following schools will offer Opportunity Scholarship transfers for the 2018-2019 school year.
- Griffin Elementary parent letter (Spanish and Haitian Creole)
- Walter Caldwell Elementary parent letter (Spanish and Haitian Creole)
- Lake Marion Creek Middle School parent letter (Spanish and Haitian Creole)
- McLaughlin Middle School parent letter (Spanish and Haitian Creole)
The Opportunity Scholarship transfer is only available to students who meet the eligibility criteria as defined by the Florida Department of Education. A public school student’s parent may request and receive an Opportunity Scholarship transfer for the student to enroll in and attend a higher performing public school if:
- The student spent the prior school year in attendance at a public school that has earned a grade F or three consecutive grades of D;
- The student has been in attendance elsewhere in the public school system and has been assigned to a public school that has earned a grade F or three consecutive grades of D for the next school year; OR
- The student has been assigned to a public school that has earned a grade F or three consecutive grades of D for the next school year.
For more information about the Opportunity Scholarship Program, please visit the FL Department of Education’s School Choice website.
Florida School Choice Website (link to http://www.fldoe.org/schools/school-choice/ )