Polk County Public Schools will be hosting a series of forums next week for employees and community members to share their thoughts on what’s needed in our next superintendent.
In May, Superintendent Jacqueline Byrd announced her retirement, which is now effective June 30, 2021. PCPS has contracted with the Florida School Boards Association to conduct the search for her successor.
For those who would like to provide in-person input, the school district and FSBA will host a series of community forums at the following times and locations:
- Oct. 19, 6 p.m., Jim Miles Professional Development Center, 4270 Wallace Road, Lakeland
- Oct. 20, 6 p.m., Winter Haven High School cafeteria, 600 6th St. SE, Winter Haven
- Oct. 22, 6 p.m., Haines City High School cafeteria, 2800 Hornet Drive, Haines City
In addition to the community forums, the district and FSBA will host two forums specifically for employees at the following times and locations:
- Administrative staff forum — Oct. 21, 4:30 p.m., Winter Haven High School cafeteria
- Non-administrative staff (including teachers, paras, custodians, bus drivers and attendants, secretaries, etc.) – Oct. 21, 6 p.m., Winter Haven High School cafeteria
To protect attendees, face coverings and temperature checks will be required at the community and employee forums.
FSBA and the school district are planning a virtual forum for students. Details will be provided when they become available.
In addition to these forums, parents, employees and community members can also participate in our online survey where they can share the characteristics they feel are most important in the next superintendent. The deadline to complete the survey is Nov. 12.