Polk County Public Schools is hosting a free event this month to help families of students with disabilities.
The Symposium on Special Education will be held on Saturday, Oct. 26 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Lake Region High, 1995 Thunder Road. in Eagle Lake.
“This event gives families an opportunity to learn more about the programs, resources and opportunities available to our students with disabilities,” said Kimberly Steinke, assistant superintendent of learning support.
“This year’s theme is the ‘Sweet World of ESE,’ because it really is a sweet treat to witness how students with the right support in place can thrive. We encourage families to join us and learn more about how we can all work together to help our students succeed.”
This annual event connects families with information that will help them make informed educational choices for their children, and help them prepare to transition into life after high school.
Visitors can also enjoy lunch, as well as opportunities to win door prizes and giveaways.
District personnel, community agencies and vendors will be available to answer questions and provide valuable workshops on a wide range of topics. For more information, call (863) 535-6485.
Session Topics Include:
- Everything You Want to Know to Navigate the IEP
- Transition IEP: Project 10 Education Transition Network
- Opening Doors in Your IEP: Disability Rights
- Section 504: What Parents Need to Know
- Supporting Behavior in School: What Parents Need to Know
- Pathways to Graduation for Students with Disabilities Access Points
- Life After High School with Voc. Rehab
- Jobs and Adulting: What You Want to Know!
- Learning Supports, Division Overview
- Mental Health Statutes Explained
- Guardianship Options and Planning Ahead
- Respite: What It Is and When It’s Available
- Caring for the Caregiver
- Vaping- What Parents Need to Know
- ABC Tutoring Service
- Achievement Academy
- Alliance for Independence, Inc. (AFI)
- Agency for Persons with Disabilities
- Author of Private Eye, Romeo Riley The Series
- Behavioral Analysis Consultants of Mid Florida
- Bright Feats Directory
- CareerSource Polk
- Center for Autism and Related Disabilities (CARD)
- Central Florida Speech and Hearing Center
- Center for Independent Living
- Citrus Connection
- City of Lakeland: ADA/Accessibility Services
- Club Success- Peace River Center
- Disability Rights Florida
- Division of Blind Services
- Early Learning Coalition of Polk County
- Easterseals Florida Camp Challenge
- Exceptional Student Education Advisory Council
- Family Care Council
- Family Network on Disabilities
- Florida Alliance for Assistive Services and Technology (FAAST)
- Florida Diagnostic and Learning Resources Systems – Sunrise (FDLRS)
- Florida Inclusion Network (FIN)
- Florida Division of Vocational Rehabilitation
- Goodwill Industries
- Holladay Child Development Services, LLC
- Inspiring Interpreting Inc
- Learning Resource Center of Polk County, Inc.
- Merrill Lynch Wealth Management
- MIDFLORIDA Credit Union
- Noah’s Ark
- Polk Community PTSA (Parent Teacher Student Association
- Polk County Emergency Management for Special Needs
- Polk County Public Schools HEARTH Project
- Polk County Public Schools – Hospital /Homebound Program
- Polk County Public Schools Prekindergarten Services
- Multiagency Network for Students with Emotional/Behavioral Disabilities (SEDNET)
- Polk County Public Schools Student Services and Section 504
- Polk County Public Schools Behavior and Mental Health
- Polk County Public Schools – ESE Transition Programs
- Polk County Public Schools – Title I Program
- Polk County Public Schools Library Media Services
- Polk State College
- Polk Training Center, Inc.
- Project 10: Transition Education Network
- Serving Children and Reaching Families (SCARF)
- Social Security Administration
- Special Needs Ministry at First Presbyterian Church of Lakeland
- Special Olympics Florida-Polk County
- Spirit Gymnastics
- Sunrise Community of Polk County, Inc.
- Sunshine Community of Florida, Inc.
- Supervisor of Elections
- The Learning Academy at USF
- Top Buttons