The next steps in Polk County Public Schools’ search for a new superintendent are surveys of parents, employees and community members, and a series of community forums.
In May, Superintendent Jacqueline Byrd announced her retirement, which is now effective June 30, 2021. PCPS has contracted with the Florida School Boards Association to conduct the search for her successor.
The next steps of that search include online surveys and community forums. The data gathered from both those steps will help determine the qualities and experience the school district is looking for in its next superintendent.
The online surveys ask respondents to identify the characteristics they feel are most important in the areas of personal leadership; instructional excellence and leadership; business, finance and operations; board, staff and community relations; and performance accountability.
The surveys opened Oct. 12 and will close Nov. 12. They can be found at the following links:
For those who would like to provide in-person input on what’s needed in the next superintendent, the school district and FSBA will host a series of community forums at the following times and locations:
- Oct. 19, 6 p.m., Jim Miles Professional Development Center, 4270 Wallace Road, Lakeland
- Oct. 20, 6 p.m., Winter Haven High School cafeteria, 600 6th St. SE, Winter Haven
- Oct. 22, 6 p.m., Haines City High School cafeteria, 2800 Hornet Drive, Haines City
In addition to the community forums, the district and FSBA will host two forums specifically for employees at the following times and locations:
- Administrative staff forum — Oct. 21, 4:30 p.m., Winter Haven High School cafeteria
- Non-administrative staff (including teachers, paras, custodians, bus drivers and attendants, secretaries, etc.) – Oct. 21, 6 p.m., Winter Haven High School cafeteria
To protect attendees, face coverings and temperature checks will be required at the community and employee forums.
FSBA and the school district will are planning a virtual forum for students. Details will be provided when they become available.
Stay up-to-date on the search for the new superintendent by visiting polkschoolsfl.com/supersearch.