Polk County Public Schools will conduct its 2020 graduation ceremonies at Publix Field at Joker Marchant Stadium in Lakeland.
“I’m absolutely thrilled we’re able to give this opportunity to our seniors and their families,” said Superintendent Jacqueline Byrd.
“Like every senior class, the Class of 2020 has looked forward to graduation day for many years. By conducting the ceremonies at Publix Field at Joker Marchant Stadium, we will be able to give them the ceremony they deserve and have always wanted, while still abiding by social-distancing and health guidelines. We are so thankful to our partners at the City of Lakeland and the Detroit Tigers for helping to make this happen. I can’t wait to see the Class of 2020 on the field!”
All traditional high schools as well as East Area Adult, Fresh Start, Gause Academy, Polk Grad Academy, Polk Virtual School, Ridge Technical College, Roosevelt Academy, Traviss Technical College and West Area Adult will have their graduation ceremonies at Publix Field at Joker Marchant Stadium.
Ceremonies will take place in June. A graduation schedule is available here and times will be settled as we get closer to June. This web page contains other information, including answers to frequently asked questions as well as a video that describes our graduation plans.
Ceremonies will be livestreamed on the school district’s YouTube channel.
PCPS, City of Lakeland and Detroit Tigers will take the following health precautions to ensure the safety of graduates, their guests and school district staff:
- The Florida Department of Health is being consulted during the planning of graduation ceremonies.
- Temperatures will be checked as individuals enter the stadium. Anyone running a fever, including graduates, will not be allowed to attend or participate.
- Everyone will be required to wear a mask, including graduates.
- Graduates will receive four tickets each. The tickets will include a seat number. Limiting the number of guests and assigning them to seats at least six feet apart will ensure social distancing.
- The stadium, including seats, will be disinfected daily.
- Graduates will stand six feet apart during the ceremony.
- There will be no handshakes.
- Ceremonies will be condensed to approximately one hour to limit exposure.
- Graduates, guests and staff members are being reminded that graduation ceremonies are not mandatory. Anyone who does not feel safe should not attend.