Congratulations to the winners of Polk County’s 21st annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Essay Challenge!
The contest is open each year to students in grades K-12. In addition to a cash prize, winning students read their essays during the awards ceremony dinner, which was held yesterday at the W.H. Stuart Center in Bartow.
The Essay Challenge is held in partnership between PCPS and Polk’s Community Relations Advisory Council. This year’s theme was “The role of our youth in the creation of a beloved community.”
Without further ado, the winners are:
*Elementary school, grades K-2
– First place: Silas Hernandez, Lewis Anna Woodbury Elementary
– Second place: Skylar Keppler, Cypress Junction Montessori
– Third place: Jimmy Nguyen, Cypress Junction Montessori
*Elementary school, grades 3-5
– First place: Bostyn Angsten, Cypress Junction Montessori
– Second place: Sofia Monacelli, Lincoln Avenue Academy
– Third place: Elaina Walker, Scott Lake Elementary
– First place: Maranda Ghent, Union Academy
– Second place: Marwa Belfakir, Daniel Jenkins Academy
– Third place: Tah’Niyah Kersaint, Daniel Jenkins Academy
– First place: Kelly Renee Granger, George Jenkins High
– Second place: Yaneilis Aponte, George Jenkins High
– Third place: Ava Winkler, George Jenkins High
A recording of the awards ceremony is available on the Polk County government YouTube channel.