Library, Media & Online Resources
Polk County Public Schools’ Library Media Services offers a number of services and programs to aid students, school library staff, teachers, faculty, district office staff and members of the community.
- Providing support for school libraries, including training, on-site coaching, and phone/email assistance
- Providing local support and training for Follett’s Destiny Resource Manager and Library Manager
- Providing local support for Renaissance Learning programs (Accelerated Reader, STAR Reading, STAR Early Literacy)
- Providing management and support for Title I’s Books Bridge program
- Maintaning a professional library with production services at our location
- Managing procurement, training and promotion of online resource database services for all students and staff
- Facilitating People of Polk reading mentors
- Collaborating with district and community partners, including Polk Vision, Polk County Reading Council, RSVP Polk, in literacy initiatives
- Providing special programming, including Reading Comes Alive Sunshine State Young Readers’ Festival
- Maintaining a Little Free Library drop-off and stock-up location
- Supporting various academic special programs, including Read While You Roll, Polk County History Fair, and Cracker Storytelling Festival
We offer a variety of services to our school community from laminating to software support. Click below to see all we have to offer.
Our programs are designed to support and build literacy within the community.
Sunshine State Young Readers’ Festival
- Encourages students in grades 3 – 8 to read and enjoy state award-nominated books.
- Students create projects and compete in 5 categories based on the books.
Florida Teens Read
- State-wide reading promotion and book award program for teens.
- Library Media Services provides copies of the award-nominated titles to PCPS high school and provides FTR author visits to schools.
- Outreach program designed to bring books and book related knowledge to communities in Polk County.
- Books Bridge Library Media Specialists and Paraprofessionals take books on busses outfitted as mobile classrooms to young children throughout Polk County
Reading Comes Alive
- Polk County Secondary Drama Students perform picture book stories to 2nd grade students.
- Dramatic presentations are written and produced by the secondary students based on state award-nominated books.
People of Polk Reading Clubs
- Adult reading role models read with students in Polk County Schools.
Little Free Libraries
- Small libraries placed in the community where anyone can take or leave a book.
- Anyone can sponsor their own Little Free Library.
- Library Media Services is a drop off/pick up location for books donated for the program.
Read While You Roll
- Sponsored by Support Services
- Books donated by citizens and civic organizations are provided on school buses for students to read as they ride.
- Polk County School Libraries are encouraged to participate by donating surplus books to the program.
Award Winning Books
Click below to access information about award winning children’s and young adult literature.
Award Winning Books
National Award Winning Book Lists
- The Caldecott Medal Homepage
- The Newbery Medal Homepage
- The Pura Belpre Award Homepage
- The Odyssey Award Homepage
- The Batchelder Award Homepage
- The Geisel Award Homepage
FAME (Florida Association for Media in Education) Award-Nominated Books
Visit the Sunshine State Young Readers Award, Jr. website (grades K-2), Sunshine State Young Readers Award website (grades 3-8), and the Florida Teens Read website (grades 9-12) to view book lists, activities, and the latest SSYRA/FTR news.