Lead Information Center
At Polk County Public Schools, the health and safety of our students and staff members is always our top priority. To ensure the water at our school sites is safe for consumption, the school district has begun testing for lead content in water that comes from faucets, drinking fountains, and any other fixtures where the water is likely to be used for drinking or cooking.
With more than 150 school sites, lead testing will be ongoing for several months. We are beginning with schools that were built prior to 1986. After that date, building codes restricted the use of lead pipes. While we will eventually test all our schools, we are initially concentrating on those that are most at risk of having elevated lead content.
The Environmental Protection Agency recommends that lead levels over 20 parts per billion be corrected in schools, but Polk County Public Schools has adopted the stricter threshold of 15 parts per billion. When we find lead levels at 15 parts per billion, we will communicate with parents of the affected schools, post the information here, and begin mitigation.
We’ve created our Lead Information Center as a hub for test results, official communications, and other materials to help you understand and stay up-to-day on this important health issue. Please check back for updates regularly.
What schools are being tested?
Polk County Public Schools is working with a consultant to conduct lead testing in the water of schools throughout the district. This testing has begun with older schools.
We will eventually test all of our more than 150 centers of learning. However, we are initially concentrating on those schools most at risk for elevated levels of lead.
Building codes changed after 1986, and certain plumbing materials that could add lead to water were further restricted. Therefore, schools built before 1986 will be prioritized to receive testing as soon as possible.
What are the health risks of lead exposure?
You can find information about the effects of lead exposure by visiting the Environmental Protection Agency’s website: https://www.epa.gov/lead
You can also contact your health care provider to discuss any concerns or questions.
How is lead measured?
The Environmental Protection Agency recommends that lead levels over 20 parts per billion be corrected in schools. Polk County Public Schools is adopting a stricter threshold of 15 parts per billion.
What numbers should I be looking at when I read the lead testing reports?
When reviewing the test results, you will want to look at the third column from the left. The threshold that we have adopted is 0.015.
The Environmental Protection Agency recommends that lead levels over 20 parts per billion be corrected in schools, but Polk County Public Schools has adopted the stricter threshold of 15 parts per billion.
Who should I contact with questions about lead testing?
Please contact Maintenance Services Manager Rory Luce at email@example.com.
All of the following schools have undergone lead testing and have been cleared to use water for drinking and cooking as normal. In cases where initial testing indicated elevated levels of lead, repairs were conducted and follow-up testing was completed.
Click a school name to view the final testing report (PDF).
- Auburndale Central Elem. (cleared 10/19/18)
- Bartow Elementary Academy (cleared 11/06/18)
- Bartow Middle (cleared 10/26/18)
- Ben Hill Griffin Elem. (cleared 09/28/18)
- Berkley Elementary (cleared 11/14/18)
- Bethune Academy (cleared 09/24/18)
- Cleveland Court Elementary (cleared 09/06/18)
- Dale R. Fair Babson Park Elem. (cleared 11/14/18)
- Daniel Jenkins Academy (cleared 10/01/18)
- Denison Middle (cleared 11/14/18)
- Dixieland Elem. (cleared 10/12/18)
- Dr. N.E. Roberts Elementary (cleared 11/14/18)
- Eastside Elem. (cleared 10/01/08)
- Floral Ave. Elem. (cleared 09/26/18)
- Fort Meade Middle/Sr (cleared 10/19/18)
- Frostproof Elem. (cleared 09/27/18)
- Frostproof Middle/Sr. (cleared 09/27/18)
- Inwood Elementary (cleared 09/06/18)
- James W. Sikes Elem. (cleared 10/24/18)
- Jean O’Dell (cleared 09/25/18)
- Kathleen Elem. (cleared 11/07/18)
- Kathleen Middle (cleared 10/30/18)
- Lake Wales Senior High (cleared 11/14/18)
- Lawton Chiles Middle Academy (cleared 10/13/18)
- Lena Vista Elem. (cleared 10/16/18)
- Lewis Anna Woodbury Elem. (Lewis Campus) (cleared 10/12/18)
- Lewis Anna Woodbury Elem. (Anna Woodbury Campus) (cleared 10/12/18)
- McKeel Academy (cleared 11/07/18)
- North Lakeland Elementary (cleared 11/14/18)
- Polk City Elem. (cleared 10/11/18)
- R. Bruce Wagner Elementary (cleared 10/24/18)
- R. Clem Churchwell Elementary (cleared 11/14/18)
- Roosevelt Academy (cleared 11/07/18)
- Rosabelle W. Blake Acad. (cleared 10/19/18)
- Scott Lake Elementary (cleared 11/06/18)
- Shelley S. Boone Middle (cleared 10/24/18)
- Sleepy Hill Middle (cleared 11/07/18)
- Southwest Elementary (cleared 11/14/18)
- Union Academy (cleared 09/14/18)
- Walter Caldwell Elementary (cleared 11/09/18)
- Winston Academy of Engineering (cleared 09/14/18)