Throughout Polk County Schools students are being taught Internet Safety Curriculum in the classroom. Every student in every grade level must be taught, and all 2nd, 5th, 7th, and 9th graders must complete the online assessment. Teachers are using a district developed curriculum that contains a variety of resources to accomplish this. Some of those resources include videos, online games, and other materials. Brochures are also being sent home and some schools are holding parent’s night to present this information.
There are seven main objectives that this curriculum covers:
- Students will demonstrate safe and responsible use of social networking, web sites, electronic mail, bulletin boards, and texting on cell phones.
- Students will recognize, avoid, and report online solicitations by sexual predators.
- Students will recognize and avoid the risks of transmitting personal information on the Internet.
- Students will recognize and avoid unsolicited or deceptive online communication.
- Students will recognize and report online harassment and cyberbullying.
- Students will understand the procedures for reporting illegal online activities and communications.
- Students will understand copyright laws on written materials, photographs, music, and video.