Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information
Polk County Public Schools is following the direction of the Florida Department of Health and taking all necessary precautions and measures to ensure the safety of our students, employees and community.
PCPS will continue to update this webpage and social media. We will also use our automated telephone/email system to communicate with parents, guardians and employees. To ensure that you receive these important messages, please make sure your child’s school has your current emergency contact information on file.
Call your doctor if you develop these symptoms or have been in close contact with a person known to have coronavirus or if you have recently traveled to an area with a wide or ongoing outbreak of the virus. You may also call the state’s dedicated coronavirus call center at 866-779-6121; this line is available 24/7. For questions related to coronavirus on a local level, please call the Florida Department of Health in Polk County’s information center at 863-519-7911. This information center is available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Our Response To Coronavirus
- We are requiring more frequent and thorough cleaning procedures at our schools and offices.
- All school bathrooms are being properly stocked with hand soap.
- Hand sanitizer dispensers are being installed in high-traffic areas of our schools and district offices.
- Signage reminds students, employees and visitors of steps they can take to prevent the virus.
- Schools are using TV programs, morning announcements and other communication channels to disseminate health information.
- Large-scale outside vendors will deep-clean classrooms or entire schools if necessary.
- Buses are being disinfected daily.
- Bus drivers will be provided hand sanitizer and will be instructed to have students use it as they board the bus.
- We are teaching and regularly reminding students to use healthy hygiene habits.
- Schools are using their TV programs, morning announcements and other communication channels to disseminate health information.
- Parents and guardians are being encouraged to update their child’s emergency contact information.
If you would like to leave our website and visit outside resources, please follow the links below. These third-party resources are listed for informational purposes only, and no endorsements are implied.
It is important to stay informed on the current situation. There are many ways to protect yourself and mitigate the transmission in Florida, and we all have a part to play in these actions.
The Department of Health has a dedicated coronavirus (COVID-19) webpage for updates on the virus. This page, www.FloridaHealth.gov/COVID-19, remains the best and most up-to-date resource for information and guidance regarding coronavirus in Florida.
For any other questions related to coronavirus in Polk County, residents can contact the Department of Health in Polk County by calling 863-519-7911 Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The state also has a dedicated coronavirus call center, which is available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. For more information, call 1-866-779-6121 or email COVIDemail@example.com.