Facilities and Operations Projects
Design and Construction Project Specifications
For information regarding design and construction project specifications, contact Facilities and Operations at 863-534-0620, ext. 488.
All public announcements will be advertised for three consecutive Sundays in The Ledger under Public Notices.
For public announcement information regarding architects/engineers and continuing contracts for architects/engineers, contact Architectural Services at 863-534-0620, ext. 488.
For public announcement information regarding construction manager-at-risk, continuing contracts and pre-qualified vendors (PQV), contact Facilities and Operations at 863-534-0620, ext. 503.
Facilities and Operations
Facilities Master Plan
For more information regarding, or to receive a copy of the Facilities Master Plan, contact Facilities and Operations at 863-534-0620 ext. 488.
Bid awards will be posted at the Polk County Public Schools’ District Office in the Facilities and Operations Department. For more information, contact Construction Services at 863-534-0620, ext. 503.
Lease of School Board Property
For more information regarding leasing School Board property, contact the Planning and Concurrency Department at 863-534-0620, ext. 490.
- For information regarding the selection process for architects/engineers and continuing contracts for architects/engineers, contact Architectural Services at 863-534-0620, ext. 488.
- For information regarding the selection process for construction manager-at-risk, continuing contracts and pre-qualified vendors (PQV), contact Facilities and Operations at 863-534-0620, ext. 503.
Construction Permit & Inspection Information
When is a permit required?
The following work requires a permit:
- New construction, additions, remodeling, and renovations of any building or building system
- Concession stand screen rooms: The local fire official shall review the drawings and site plan. The concession stand exit door shall not be enclosed in the screen room addition.
- Demolition work
- New roof coverings, or replacement of roof coverings over 35 squares
- Stucco or siding work over 500 square feet
- Any work associated with changing the occupancy of a building
- Any gas work
- Any mechanical work (including duct), except for self-contained air conditioning units with like units and no electrical changes
- Plumbing work on any building, including water/sewer lines, septic tanks, wells, and fire lines unless covered under the annual maintenance permit
- Any electrical work unless covered under the annual maintenance permit
- Any signs (approval from the local zoning and building authorities must also be obtained). The local municipality must furnish a signed letter approving the proposed sign location and material.
- Tree removal, grade/fill work, and site clearing greater than 500 square feet
- Playground equipment (certified playground installers are required and procedures listed for permitting must be followed)
- Any site work (walls, concrete, or pavement)
- Any audio or visual equipment supported by the roof structure or penetrating the ceiling surface material
- Any new fence
- Any well for irrigation
For more permitting information, send an email to email@example.com or call 863-534-0620, ext. 488.
Only School Board maintenance or in-house construction personnel can do the following work without a permit:
- Minor, non-structural repairs using the annual maintenance permit
- Repairs to faucets or valves, including unclogging drains and sewer lines
- Installation of air conditioning units weighing less than 3 tons not connected to duct work and not requiring any structural or electrical changes
- Installation of cabinets, carpet, vinyl tile, and gutters
- Removal of trees not on the protected list, such as Male Mulberry, Australian Pine, Eucalyptus, Chinaberry, Cherry Laurel, Brazilian Pepper, Monkey Puzzle, and Silk Oak
- Repairs or alterations with approved drawings and in conjunction with the annual maintenance permit
When is a mechanical permit required?
Polk County Public Schools requires a mechanical permit before mechanical equipment (greater than 3 tons or with duct work) is installed, altered, or replaced. Examples of other mechanical installations are replacement of boilers, installation or replacement of gas equipment, and replacement or installation of gas water heaters.
PCPS maintenance personnel can do the following work with an annual maintenance permit:
Installation of air condition units weighing less than 3 tons and not connected to duct work and not requiring any structural or electrical changes; replacing like units with like units without any electrical changes.
Mechanical plans must be submitted for review for the following:
(Minimum plan size is 18” x 24” with 1/8” scale, min. ¼” scale for details)
- New, renovated or remodeled buildings
- Complete HVAC systems and air conditioning units, heat pumps, rooftop units or exhaust fans
- Relocation of 10 or more diffusers
- Addition of fan coil units
- All hoods (Type I and II)
- Gas piping
- Any penetration of fire-resistant construction
- All spray booths
Submit six copies of the following for mechanical plan review:
- Reflected ceiling plan showing and identifying duct work, equipment, piping, supply diffusers, return air grilles and fire dampers
- Roof plan showing equipment, duct work, vents, roof access and equipment screening
- Engineered structural gravity and/or lateral force calculations for all rooftop units
- List of equipment and schedule
- Energy sizing calculations
- ASHRAE 62.1-2013 calculations for outside air
Design by a registered electrical engineer is required for the following:
- All services rated 1600 amperes or larger, or any special considerations to the service
- Anything that requires engineering supervision by the National Electrical Code (NEC)
- When the building official feels that it is warranted, based on the complexity, hazard, NEC compliance, or other unique aspects of the proposed design.
Submit six copies of the following for electrical plan review:
- Electrical plans sealed and signed by a registered professional electrical engineer (when required)
- Electrical plans showing power and lighting for each floor and the location of all electrical panel boards
- Electrical panel schedules with the loads indicated in volt-amperes (VA) or kilovolt-amperes (KVA) and the listed interrupting rating (A.I.C.) of all over-current protective devices
- Riser diagram showing the point-to-point available fault current and the raceway size and type, the conductors size and type, and grounding methods. Include a detail of the grounding electrode system.
- Complete electrical load calculations, including an electric load summary showing all applicable demand factors
- Complete fault current calculations through the panel board level, or provide sufficient information to verify fault current calculations.
- Polk County Public Schools requires electrical permits and inspections for all low-voltage and fiber-optic wiring covered in the NEC to ensure that the wiring being installed is listed for the application, properly installed, and that all penetrations through fire-rated assemblies are adequately protected.
Permitting Procedure for Contractors/Maintenance/Schools/Vendors
Permitting Application Procedure for Contractors/Maintenance/Schools/Vendors
Fill out the top half of the Application for Permitting
- Facility/School (name), date
- Project title (if applicable), Project Number (if applicable)
- Project description (if not a project then the description of the work requiring a permit)
- Architect/engineer or person responsible for the construction
- Print the company name and phone number or person responsible for the construction
- Sign the applicant’s name and include the phone number for the contact.Projects shall have Planning Department approval prior to submitting for permit.
- Four (4) complete sets of project drawings/specifications, two (2) of which are to be signed & sealed by an Architect or Engineer.
Four (4) copies of the site plan showing the location of the construction to be permitted.
Manufacturer’s installation instructions if applicable and if attached to any structural member two (2) sealed sets from a structural engineer.
Submit two (2) copies of the Florida Product Approval Form (as required).
Fill out the Contractor/Sub License form with the information requested and verify you have complied with the Jessica Lunsford Act.
Submit the Permit Application, drawings, specifications, Contractor/Sub license form with a copy of all licenses, Liability/Worker’s Comp Insurance Certificates and Florida Product Approval Forms to Architectural Services at the County Office, Facilities and Operations, Building C, 1909 S. Floral Avenue, Bartow.
The Permitting Application Form for School Administrator and Vendors is available at the Facilities & Operations Department, Building C, 1909 S. Floral, Bartow. For any permitting questions please contact Facilities and Operations at 863-534-0620 ext. 488.
For Permit Applications, Product Approval Forms or Inspection Request Forms, please contact Facilities and Operations at 863-534-0620, ext. 488.