Equity & Diversity Management
Equity & Diversity Management supports the educational mission of Polk County Public Schools by providing guidance and resources for developing cultural awareness, understanding and equity within the district.
EQUITY & DIVERSITY MANAGEMENT
The School Board of Polk County, Florida, prohibits any and all forms of discrimination and harassment based on race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, sex, age, gender, marital status, disability, genetic information, or other basis prohibited by law in any of its programs, services, activities or employment practices. The Board will provide equal access to its facilities to the Boy Scouts and other identified Title 36 patriotic youth groups as required within 34 C.F.R. 108.9.
To file concerns, you may contact the Office of Equity & Compliance in Human Resource Services at 863-534-0513 or P.O. Box 391, Bartow, FL 33831.
The School Board of Polk County, Florida, Policies 1122, 2260, 3122 and 4122, Florida Educational Equity Act, Section 1000.05, F.S., Rule 6A‐19.000 through 6A‐19.010, FAC, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Section 504, Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 as amended, Vocational Guidelines, Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, Title IX and Boy Scouts of America Equal Access Act 34 C.F.R. 108.9.
Equity & Diversity Management works to fill the diverse learning needs of all students, parents and community members, and to ensure a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment. This will be accomplished by:
- Recruiting highly qualified personnel who mirror the demographics of our diverse student population.
- Continuing to monitor all school sites that fall below 5 percent of staff demographics (black and Hispanic) through the school district’s Diversity Action Plan (DAP).
- Implementing a mentorship program for at-risk students and recruiting adult mentors.
- Increasing the cultural competency of teachers, administrators, district-level staff and community stakeholders through Diversity Professional Learning.
- Continuing to develop partnerships with local organizations including the Bartow Chamber of Commerce, National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), Concerned Citizens, Hispanic Educational Group, district PTAs and PTOs, Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) and Community Relations Advisory Council (CRAC).
- Working with diverse parents and building relationships.
- Encouraging engagement through our Parent Engagement Program coordinators and staff, located in our Parent Informational Resource Centers.
- Investigating and addressing incidents of unlawful harassment and inequitable treatment within the school district to promote an environment conducive to learning and working.
- Preparing position statements and formal responses to complaints filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Council (EEOC), Office for Civil Rights (OCR) and other federal agencies, and providing basic EEO law training to staff as requested.
- Preparing and submitting the school district’s Annual Equity Update report to the Florida Department of Education.
Representatives from the Office of Equity & Diversity Management serve on district and community committees including:
- Charter Review
- Student Code of Conduct
- Assistant Principal Screening Selection
- Community Relations Advisory Council (CRAC)
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Committee
- Facility Vendor Selection (Bid Review)