Student Entrance Requirements

Requirement Pre-K K 1st Out of State Transfers
For 1st Time
Out of State Transfers
Not 1st Time
Out of County
But In State Transfers
In County Private or Public Transfers
1. Legal certificate of birth date which shows parents’ names or proof of age acceptable under Florida Law (See #1 below) X X X X X X
2.  Physical Examination within 12 months of registration completion needed at K or at 1st entrance to Florida Schools (See #2 below) X X X *See #2 Below *See #2 Below *See #2 Below
3.   Florida Certificate of Immunization (form DH 680) (See #3 below.) X X X X X X X
4.  Two proofs of residency (See #4 below) X X X X X X X
5.  Withdrawal and transfer form from the school student had been attending (See #5 below) X
6. Must be 5 years old on or before September 1st of the school year.  There is no early entry. X
7.  Child must be 6 years old on or before September 1 of the school year.  Student has completed Kindergarten.  Student may be admitted any time during the school year. X


If the first prescribed evidence is not available, the next evidence obtainable in the order below may be accepted.

  1. A transcript of birth record filed according to law;
  2. A certificate of baptism showing the date of birth and place of baptism signed by the parent;
  3. A life insurance policy on the child (at least 2 years old);
  4. A Bible record of the child’s birth accompanied by an affidavit sworn to by the parent;
  5. A passport or certificate of arrival in the United States showing the age of the child;
  6. A transcript of record of age shown in the child’s school records (at least 4 years prior to application);
  7. If none of these evidences can be produced, an affidavit of age sworn to by the parent, accompanied by a certificate of age signed by a public health officer or by a public school physician, or, if neither of these is available in the county, a licensed practicing physician designated by the School Board, may issue a  certificate stating that the health officer or physician has examined the child and believes that the age as stated in the affidavit is correct.


Physicals are required only on first entrance into a Florida school, unless first entrance was PreK, or the hard copy of the physical cannot be located.  Physicals completed out of county or state is acceptable.  A physical form, which contains body systems assessment as well as the physician’s signature, is required.  If document is questionable, please refer to your school nurse.  The hard copy of the physical must be sent from the previous school.  If it is not obtained after sending for records, a new physical is required.


Religious Exemption from Immunization (form DH 681) must be obtained at a Health Department clinic.  Electronic transfer of immunization dates may be used; however, all immunization dates must be transferred.  A notation that there is a certificate of immunization is not acceptable.  Students may enter school on Temporary Medical Exemption (form DH 680, Part B), (DOE code 2), provided expiration date has not passedStudents who are not in compliance with immunization laws are not allowed to attend school.


TWO proofs of residency. Each proof MUST include name and current physical address.  Post office boxes, private mailbox addresses or commercial addresses are insufficient.

  • Apartment rent receipt or home lease agreement, mortgage document, or property tax record.
  • Current utility bill (electric, gas, water), cable, or home phone bill
  • Current Voter registration document, State of Florida identification card
  • Proof of current government benefits (disability, Medicare, food stamps, Department of Children and Families (DCF) correspondence)
  • Current Florida driver’s license, automobile registration, automobile insurance


Withdrawal and transfer form from the school the student last attended.  The form should include name, address, phone number and fax number of that school.


All home-schooled students that participate in public school academic or athletic events must comply with the Polk County Public Schools entrance requirements.


Student living in a homeless situation are students who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate night- time residence and include students that (1) live with another family or in a hotel due to economic need (2) live in a shelter or (3) live on the street. These students may not be able to currently meet entrance requirements and should be enrolled and fully participating while obtaining required documents. Call Ben Ruch at 863-457-4709 ext. 683 for assistance.


Florida Statute 1008.386 says, “Each district school board shall request that each student enrolled in a public school in this state provide his or her social security number.”  In accordance with law, the school district uses confidential social security information for a number of important reasons like making accurate student identification, for college transcripts, and other legitimate state and federal educational programs, including but not limited to free and reduced lunch programs, health department programs, Medicaid/Medicare, grants, and financial aid opportunities.  Presenting a student’s social security card or a copy of the card to school enrollment officials satisfies this request.  To protect student’s identification, the school district takes reasonable and appropriate steps to secure social security numbers from unauthorized access and unlawful release to unauthorized parties.  A student is not required to provide his or her social security number as a condition for enrollment or graduation.

Immunization Requirements

X” Denotes required immunizations per grade level

*** Pre-K students must have started the series, and have a current immunization certificate

Students who are not in compliance with immunization laws are required to be excluded from school.  (Immunizations given four days before a minimum interval or age will be counted as valid.)  These immunization requirements apply to all new students and retained students.

Immunization Pre-K K 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
1.   MMR (one shot) X
2. MMR (two shots) X X X X X X X X X X X X X
3. POLIO (3-5  doses) *** X X X X X X X X X X X X X
4. DTP/DTaP (5 shots) *** X X X X X X X X X X X X X
5. Tdap (one shot) X X X X X X
6. Td or Tdap
7.Hepatitis B Series (3 shots) X X X X X X X X X X X X X X
8.Hib X
9.Varicella (one shot or signed proof of disease) X
10. Varicella (two shots or signed proof of disease) X X X X X X X X X X X X X

1. MMR (one shot):   Measles, mumps and rubella must have been given on or after the child’s first birthday.

2. MMR (two shots):  The minimum interval between the 2 doses of MMR is 28 days.

3. POLIO (3-5 doses): Kindergarten:  All kindergarteners need one polio on or after fourth birthday.   If fourth dose of polio vaccine was administered on or after the fourth birthday, a fifth dose of polio vaccine is not required for entry into kindergarten. First through twelfth grade:  If third dose of polio was given on or after the fourth birthday, a fourth dose is not required. The final dose of the polio series should be administered on or after the fourth birthday regardless of the number of previous doses.

4. DTP/DTaP (5 shots):  If the fourth dose of DTP/DTaP was given on or after the fourth birthday, a fifth dose is not required. Students between ages 7 and 12 (before 7th grade) may be considered complete with three doses and evaluation by the Department of Health School Nurse.

5. Tdap (one shot):  One dose of Tdap is required for students entering, repeating or transferring into seventh, eighth, ninth, tenth and eleventh, and twelfth grade. Tdap can be administered regardless of the interval since the last Td vaccine was given.

6. Td or Tdap:  Tdap is the requirement for grades 7 – 12.

8. Hib:  Number of doses of Hib varies according to age and the type of vaccine received.

9. Varicella (one shot or signed proof of disease):  Varicella must have been given on or after child’s first birthday.