Charter schools may be started by an individual or group of parents, community leaders, teachers, businesses, municipalities, community colleges, or other legal entities organized under the state’s laws.
- Under s.1002.33, F.S., the district school board in which the charter school is located is the sponsor or authorizer. District staff provides support and monitors compliance of schools.
- In Polk County, the School Board of Polk County is authorized to sponsor charter schools.
- It is the responsibility of the charter school applicants to request technical assistance from the Florida Department of Education.
- Acceptance of an application for review does not imply or ensure approval of the application.
- Approval of an application does not authorize the operation of the charter school. Approval of an application authorizes the parties to negotiate a contract to operate the school.